On September 4th 2014 I was invited to do a presentation for the Philadelphia PowerShell User Group.
The topic for my session was “Get Started with Windows PowerShell Desired State Configuration”, where I covered the following topics:
- The background and goal of DSC
- Configuration models
- Configuring the Local Configuration Manager (demo)
- Configuring a Pull Server using File Download Manager(demo)
- Configuring a Pull Server using Web Download Manager(demo)
- DSC Resources
- DSC in Microsoft Azure(demo)
- PowerShell DSC “V2” (demo featuring what is new in Windows Management Framework 5 based on the 2014 September Preview)
- Related 3rd party products (Chef, Puppet and CFEngine)
A few hours before the meeting the Windows Management Framework 5.0 Preview September 2014 became available, so I prepared a virtual machine with the latest preview in order to give a quick tour of some of the enhancements in the upcoming version.
Resources available from the presentation: